Thursday 8 November 2012

when i think of coming home


It is like this a clenched fist that stinks of love between the fingers
god the warm breast of a mother where a head can rest for just a while
a little while; my body hung out like a skyline naked in expectation
and another body sleeps and another body sleeps and another body

And I want to call back crawl back home but she’s naked too
and the trees are naked and what direction is home if it isn't down that road 

And back to the city with the kind of horizon that keeps factories closer than lovers
that keeps the colours of winter even in the summer, and we came home here
we found another place with that brown linoleum that tiny basement those tiny men
with their big beards and red eyes, how I laugh laugh laugh now the kind of men I could crush

but didn’t I anyway, with my thirteen with my fifteen with my nineteen
clenched jaw like a steeled fist take back what was taken that long highway that short bridge
that lifts out of here that can be walked over that we rode our bikes over and everyone said
we looked like sisters and we biked for hours and I thought, my muscles are exhausted how long
have we been biking how long until we get home this road from one city to the next

Men slapping up against the sides like waves up against dead fish on the shore – they call it
Steel City and the smoke makes it hard to breathe and the smoke fills the small basements
and when they gun their motors, it kicks dirt and dust and I feel that engine between my legs
I hit that ground running and I run hard and I breathe hard and I see you there too like you see me there too so like you you’re angry shaking me wanting me to take any other road than that road
you know it so well shaking me so angry but I am so tired you know we’ve been biking for hours

we can stop, sit on the shore, there are rocks we can skip stones
put our feet in the water just sit still and count the waves
our bikes in the sun, black steel full of heat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment